I felt the urge to forage when elderberries were ripe.. You may have seen my photograph earlier this year. Inspired by this recipe, I decided to try my hand at elderberry liquer. Here’s how I did it.
- Dress in black. I like my clothes, without stains.
- Gather your supplies. I have my elderberry tincture, a strainer, cheesecloth, and empty jars for the new liquid.
- Strain the elderberries from the alcohol. The liquid is almost black.
- Dispose of the elderberries. They look rather anemic. So does the lemon zest. I put them in my compost pile
- Add white sugar.
- Shake and let age. Here is photo of the jar in Sept. on the left; I added sugar to the new jar and shook it on the right.